New here? Welcome! We’re a friendly bunch.
Here are some of our most popular articles to get you started.
1. Author Websites
- 14 Items to Include on Your Author Web Site’s Media/ Press Page
- 7 Things You Can do Right Now to Improve Your Author Website
- Do you need an author website? (& why not all websites come equal)
- 12 Reasons you should use WordPress – & nothing else – for your author website or blog!
- The difference between WordPress.com & WordPress.org – in a nutshell!
- If there are free WordPress themes, why should I pay for a premium one?
- How to understand website hosting & domain names: FAQs for confused authors
- 16 Plugins that can take your site from OK to OUTSTANDING! (Guest Post on TheBookDesigner.com)
- 8 actionable ways to grow your email/newsletter subscribers (by optimizing your author website & more)
2. Social Media
- Six Ways Authors Can Promote Their Books on Pinterest!
- HOW can I use Twitter to market my book? Twitter for authors who “don’t get it.”
- Why You Need to Use Hashtags, & the Best Hashtags for Writers & Authors (Twitter)
- A Little Linked In Tip! Customizing URLs on Profile
3. Optimizing Your Amazon Listing
- Keywords, Tags and Categories: Three Simple Ways to Increase the Profitability of Your Book on Kindle
- Tips on Maximizing Your Kindle Sales Potential Through Categories
- Kindle Tags: What are they and how do they differ to keywords?
- How Adding Customer Images to Amazon Can Increase Your Book Sales
- 4 Ways to Improve Your Amazon listing (& sell more books!) (Guest Post on DuoLit)
- How To Get Amazon’s Top Customer Reviewers To Review Your Book (Guest Post on The Creative Penn)
- “Sell the sizzle, not the steak”. How to write a brilliant Amazon book description – for fiction & non-fiction titles (Guest Post by Amazon best-seller Mark Edwards)
- How to Make the Most of Your KDP Select Free Days
4. Promotions & Marketing
- What key elements make an effective book trailer?
- What to do NOW: Promotions & Publicity before you Publish, 10 Tips
- 7 reasons Why eBook authors should have a paperback (hint – it’s not for the $$$!)
- 11 Tips for a great book signing
- How to Create an Audio Book for Free
- The one thing shy authors need to know about marketing their books
- 10 Steps to Mastering Your Marketing Plan
- My new book is out TODAY! Lessons learned from a pre-launch
5. Finding New Readers
- How Winning an Award Could Find You New Readers (Plus a list of awards for indie authors)
- 5 Places To Find New Readers (and 3 Ways to Make Sure They Stick Around)
- 31 Ways to Find New Readers Outside of Your Network
- How Can Self-Published Authors Get their Books into the Library System? (Guest Post by Dana Lynn Smith)
6. Getting More Reviews
- LibraryThing: Some Tips on Getting Book Reviews from Giveaways
- Goodreads Giveaways: Why you should, & some tips to get the best of them (hint – reviews!)
- Negative Book Reviews: Tips for dealing with them
- 6 Ways to get more Amazon (& other online bookstore) Reviews
- I Heart Book Reviewers (And why you should too)
7. Mailing Lists/ Newsletter Subscribers
- Mailing lists: An indie author’s biggest asset – make sure you have one!
- 8 Actionable Ways to Grow Your Email Newsletter Subscribers by Optimizing Your Website
8. Author / Video Interviews
- Q&A with Guy Kawasaki – New York Times Bestseller, Technologist, Entrepreneur, Venture Capitalist
- Laura interviews Derek Halpern of Social Triggers TV about online marketing
- Indie Authors Doing it Right! Interview with Kimanzi Constable about how he went from selling bread, to selling 65,000+ copies of his book
- Interview with Amazon.co.uk best-seller Mark Edwards on reaching #1 spot (part 1)
- Interview with Amazon.co.uk best-seller Mark Edwards on writing best-selling book descriptions (part 2)
- Indie Authors Doing it Right! Interview with Tarryn Fisher, The Opportunist. [Video]
- Indie Authors Doing it Right! Interview with Lauren Clark, Dancing Naked in Dixie. [Video]
- Indie Authors Doing it Right! Interview with Ingrid Ricks, Hippie Boy [Video]